Wednesday, June 1, 2011

sleep part 2

I took the new medicine the doctor prescribed for me. I took it 3 nights. Each day following progressed with me being so out of it that I couldn't focus AT ALL!!

So... I have not taken it for 5 nights now. Side effects gone. Yea!

Then, I was back to my original problem of no sleep and excessive tiredness in the daytime. So, I decided to cut back on the medicine I take for night terrors. It has been 4 or 5 nights now... I have had 1 night terror, I am remembering many more dreams than normal which may mean that I am possibly getting into the deeper stages of sleep that I need to... but the problem that follows is that my body still doesn't get rest, because I have night terrors and or intense dreams that raise my heart rate and keep my brain more active than it needs to be while I am asleep.

BUT... after cutting back on that med; I have FINALLY had energy again.

So...I don't know what to do. I don't want to have my meds switched again. I am only on 1 really. But, when I go to the doctors, they always try to put me on more; and I end up in emotional turmoil until I either quit taking it. My body just doesn't seem to tolerate meds well. BUT... I do realize that I need something to help me get the rest I need.

I am torn. I want to, and WILL do whatever I need to do to keep me well. I have a family that depends on me. BUT... what is frustrating is that in the process of trying to get better, it most often results in me getting worse.

As it stands right now these are my issues:

Insomnia - can't go to sleep until early hours of the morning.
Irritability - VERY big problem right now.
Night terrors and interrupted sleep.

Benefits or "good" things:
more energy than I have had in a long time
able to get the things done that I have needed to do for a long time


Dilema - do I choose insomnia and night terrors, but have energy
OR do I choose sleep with no night terrors, but have no energy in the daytime.

Either way, my body does not get the rest it needs. So, I guess in the end I will end up going back to the doctor to see what else can be tried. Sighhhh. :(

4 comments:

jodilee0123 said...

I am assuming that they have done all other tests and blood work like for thyroid, diabetes, mono, lupus, etc. My thyroid is whacked and has been for over 2 years. I just started meds last week. I feel better already. Not completely better--but able to make it through the day without feeling like I am going to drop any second. I've had a kink in my back for the longest time and it's gone now--helping me sleep even better. I think my body was just so stressed that my muscles were fighting. Can't wait to see how I feel when all levels are back to normal! ;0) Hang in there. You might want to visit and endocrinologist too for all your hormone levels to get tested. That's a tough one, though, I know how much energy is really needed! But night terrors--ugh!

Shauna said...

Jodi,
my thyroid has been going out for about a year now... autoimmune thing. I got an order 3 weeks ago for my thyroid to be checked, but I just haven't made it to the lab yet :( Hormones are monitored b/c of my hysterectomy 3 years ago... so they r good. I do have slightly high levels of the EBV virus that causes mono; but no fever - just tiredness. Nothing they can do about that though :( I also had shingles last year. SO... honestly, my opinion is that my body is very weak and not much immunity right now. My best guess would be stress - lol. That is the main reason we are getting out of foster care; so hopefully my body can rest and not be so stressed.

jodilee0123 said...

Stress? What is that? haha! Any updates since our last phone call?
Things that don't help with night terrors!

Shauna said...

lol, yeah - I think you might know what stress is too ;) Can you text me your email address or send me an email?? I have something I wanted to send to you via email.