A couple from our church brought their horses to our fall festival last week. When I got there, the first thing I did was to go and smell the horses. Now, I know you think I am crazy. But I love the smell of horses. Please tell me that some of you who read my blog know what I am talking about - Michelle, help me out here - lol.
My son loves to smell my hair. Actually, he likes to rub my hair on his face. He often tells me that my hair smells good. The funny thing is, he tells me that whether I have just gotten out of the shower, or whether I probably am in need of one - lol.
Lets face it, my hair doesn't always smell good; and horses definately don't always smell good... but the reason my son likes to smell my hair, and the reason I like the smell of horses is because those smells remind us of something we like. I love to ride horses, in fact, I just like being around them. I just think they are beautiful animals and although I haven't been able to ride in a long time - it is still something that I love to do. The reason that my son likes to smell my hair or rub it on his face, is because he loves me.
This may be stretching it a bit, but I thought of this the other day when Tyler was telling me that my hair smelled good - I wonder how we smell to God. I wonder if God likes to gently touch our hand, or stroke our cheek, or even smell our hair. I wonder if when he sees us coming to him if He gets excited to see us. I bet He knows us so well that He knows how we smell, and I bet that even when we don't smell so good - we smell good to Him, because His love for us is TRUE LOVE. Much more than I love horses, more than my son loves me, God loves me, and God loves you. His love is the only perfect love. It never fails. I pray that God will continue to work in me and help me to love more like He does.
3 comments:
not only do i love the closing thoughts for this beautiful imagery, but i totally get the horse thing. i LOOOOVE the smell of horses... oh do i love it. i don't even mind the maneur. ;) but their soft muzzles - like velvet, their grassy breath, their sun soaked, hay saturated, dust covered coat... lovely. :)
and yes - in younger years we had horses and i miss those days.
I am SO glad you understand Heidi Jo. :)
I am SOOOOOO excited - the lady that brought her horses to the fall festival invited me to go riding with her this week; AND another lady at church volunteered to watch the kids for me so I can go. I can hardly wait!!!!
Oh I miss the smell of a horse-- it warm and steady and feels like home.
Post a Comment