Monday, December 14, 2009

I'm ready for school to start back ;)

Since we homeschool, I can set our breaks when I want to. I had a choice of squeezing in another unit between Thanksgiving and Christmas; but we do something every day from Dec. 1st through Christmas - one of the ways we try to teach the kids the true meaning of Christmas. So... I decided that it was more important to focus on Christmas and our Christmas box activites and wait to start the next unit after New Years. Well................ I know that was the right choice, BUT the kids are getting a little tired of each other, tired of being home with little planned activity, etc. They are whiney and fussy, ARGHHHH!!!

But, I have to say they have enjoyed what we have done with our Christmas activities and really seem to be getting a grasp on it all this year.

TODAY... we have not even gotten to the Christmas box yet, and it is 5:00 PM. I was letting the kids ride their bikes in the back yard while I worked on editing some pictures for Matt. All of a sudden Madi comes running in screaming hysterically "BIG SNAKE, BIG SNAKE" She left Ty and La outside and I was screaming at her "TELL ME WHERE" and she just kept screaming "BIG SNAKE" So... Tyler and Lauren came in 2 seperate doors, and Tyler walked right past the snake... leaving the door open behind him. I went and closed the door, called Matt at work and asked him to come home for just a minute to help me find the snake and make sure it did NOT come inside. We find and kill the snake (sorry if u r a person who doesn't believe in killing snakes... I HATE snakes!!!!!). I hit it with one shovel and held it down while Matt killed it with another shovel. It opened its mouth at me, striking at me, and I am SURE I will have nightmares tonight!!! It was solid black with a solid white belly and the inside of it's mouth was white, so I am guessing it was a water moccasin. Does anybody know if any other snake has a white mouth inside?? It's head more rounded like a nonvenomous snake... but everything else looked like a cotton mouth. ???

Dee Dee, the pictures that I was working on while all of this happened was the ones for your mom and your brother... I am editing them the right way right now; but I thought it would be really funny to zoom in on you and Brian and use photoshop to take off his beard that he has so emphatically been growing ;) whatcha think??

I am also trying very hard to get rid of our colds we have had for like 2 or 3 weeks... I bought vitamin C, zinc, echinacia, cranberry with probiotics, and Green Tea. I am generally not "into" vitamins, herbs, etc. I mean I give the kids a flinstones vitamin every day, but that's it. Anyone know about the things I bought??? Do you think they will help us get well sooner?

3 comments:

Cyndi L said...

Glad to hear noone got bit by the snake! Yeikes...... Your so brave btw to hit it and hold it down.. wow. Reading brought back the memory of that rattle snake that Uncle Jim killed when we were kids playing out back. Yuck! Still strooooong dislike for the things here... sorry I can't be of any help figuring out what kind it was. Try those Zinc swabs for your colds. I have heard they work well. Also, Tom has a Nettipot with a saline solution he uses to feel better quick. Gl with your break and keeping the kids occupied.. Merry Christmas to you all......

Shauna said...

I will never forget that rattlesnake, it was HUGE!!! And we were so close to it and didn't even know it!!

I looked at the zinc swabs for colds... I wondered if there was any difference in them and taking zinc by mouth - i still don't know???

It's good to hear from you, you guys have a great Christmas too!!!

Anonymous said...

Shauna, you'll see him beardless tonight! Great job with the snake - grandma would've chopped it into 1 inch pieces with a hoe! Bryan took me seriously and had his hair cut and trimmed his beard - he's back to a goatee! See ya tonight!