Saturday, December 11, 2010

Christmas

It just doesn't "feel" like Christmas this year. We don't have definite plans on when we can go see my family in Alabama. That is a big Christmas tradition. We didn't decorate much at all because of the puppy, the kitten, and the baby; and we usually decorate a lot. We have been doing most of our advent days, but I haven't gotten the papers put in the "house" yet. We have an advent calendar with doors on it and a nativity scene at the top. Every year I come up with one thing for us to do each day and they get all excited over opening the door and reading the paper to see what we are doing that day. Some things we normally do are - take presents to pregnancy center and talk about how baby Jesus was born with nothing. Go look at Christmas lights. Make Christmas candy and cookies. And we always take one night and go lay on the trampoline and look at the stars, as we talk about the Star of Bethlehem. Oh, and we go to Panera Bread for lunch one day, because "Bethlehem" means "house of Bread" I encourage them to get soup in breadbowls, but they can get what they want. We have done most of our days, but it is just different this year. I don't think any of us are truly in the mood. I hate it too - this is my favorite time of year. I am looking at my Christmas tree with the garland hanging to the ground, and I think I made the right decision to not put any ornaments on it. We can't wrap the presents this early - someone, or some animal would definitely get them open. And... we haven't done our favorite things - which are going to the pregnancy center and looking at the stars. Maybe that will help. My goal is to install in their minds that Christmas is more than just getting gifts... that is a very hard thing to do, by the way.

No comments: