OK, back to the question I posted several weeks ago...
I REALLY like what Brenda and April said. And I did answer her with something similar, but a little short of where I probably should have taken it. In my every day conversations with the kids, or with anyone I am having a discussion with; I answer with a question probably 90% of the time, ask open ended questions, and try to get them to answer their own questions - or at least help them think through and clarify what they are thinking to begin with. I do that, because of all my years of working with kids, etc. BUT... leave it to me - I didn't do that with her that day. And the frustrating thing is - I really would like to know why she is asking these questions, and see a little bit deeper into her life and where she is at with her relationship with God, etc.
What I did tell her was that no one is perfect, and we all make mistakes. That we can't truly know a person's heart, or where they are at in their life - personally or with God. But I also said that sometimes, people "claim" to be Christians, but don't really have a relationship with God. They live by a set of rules, and have a "religion" rather than truly loving and knowing God. Again, I wish I would have dug deeper into her questions, etc. This lady is someone I know through foster care, and she sees the ugly of the ugliest when it comes to how people live their lives. And I am thinking that may be part of why she asked that question.
I am going to contradict myself here - I think we should be VERY careful about not judging others, but rather show them God's love; because you never truly know a person's heart, OR their life situation. On the other hand, it also upsets me greatly when Christians are given a "bad name" because of people who claim to be a Christian, and yet live a lifestyle that causes people to say "if that is what a Christian is, I don't want to be one". Having said that; only God truly knows our hearts, and He is the only one that we should be living for anyway.
Other "answers" this week:
we FINALLY have an offer on our house, after 18 months!! I am SOOOOOOOOOOO happy!! Hopefully it will all work out.
Several days ago I couldn't figure out why I had such bad nerve pain on the left side of my back and stomach...now I have an answer - I have SHINGLES!!!!! I told Matt "I thought only old people got that" His response "well...." :( And let me tell you it is every bit as painful as you have heard!!! Mine start on my lower back, wind around to my lower tummy and thighs and unfortunately it is still spreading - I REALLY hope it stops SOON!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment