Friday, August 20, 2010

Good News For Now

Took Duke to the vet today. He did have a tumor, and she made the comment that it is "possible" for male dogs to have breast cancer, but she has never seen it happen before. They removed the tumor and are sending it out to a lab. But she seemed optimistic that he would be fine with it just being removed. As for the hips; she is going to prescribe him pain meds. She said that he really looked good for his age and he is still very alert, happy, and a part of the family; so for now - I am not having to make the decision of whether or not to have him put to sleep. That is GREAT news to me tonight!! Although he hurts from his surgery today (about a 4 inch incision) it almost seems like he already feels better.

You would think that after 14 years as a momma, 10 years as a nurse, and about 20 medical foster kids - which require LOOOOOOOOOOTS of time every day doing medical "stuff"; that I would not have any desire left to do any extra nursing stuff. For some reason, and I am assuming there was a reason(??) - the vet didn't put a bandage over his incision site; but it was still bleeding some and I didn't want it to get infected; so I have been trying to figure out how to keep a 4 inch incision covered on a dog - LOL. He isn't messing with it at all! It is just that tape doesn't stick at all, even though they shaved him. And he has the build of a Rottie, so although we did do a wrap around it once, it took most of the roll; and then didn't stay well. So... then I had an idea. We had several xtra apnea monitor belts from all the foster babies we have had on apnea monitors; so I took 2 of those and put them together with the velcro straps and held the gauze on with that. It worked :) The only thing is I didn't pay attention and I put the pink side out instead of the blue side out; so he isn't looking very masculine tonight - lol.

I will not be surprised if it comes back cancerous; he has several other areas all on his breast areas. AND if something has only a small chance of happening - it will usually happen to me. But... I am happy tonight that he is feeling better; the vet seemed optimistic; and she talked like there was no need to even consider putting to sleep at this point. That was a huge relief off of my mind and heart.

No comments: