Ok, so here is one of the stories I said I would write about...
Probably the most interesting and definitely the most laughable is our first trip out into the bay on the pontoon boat with Jenn and Phillip and their boys Malachi and Isaac. We had the kids sitting on the floor in the front of the boat as we were headed back in. The purpose of our trip was to go shrimping. We caught two tiny starfish (which I think we might have left at our friends condo - gotta ask them) and we caught ONE shrimp which I used to catch the first small fish the next morning which was used as bait fish later on in the week on our "BIG" (lol) fishing trip with just us adults - all we caught were stupid catfish. Anyway; back to the first trip... we were headed back in; and it was dark, and we were having a hard time seeing the markers and we ended up in really shallow water. Even in the channel it was only like 8 - 10 feet because we didn't go out far at all. So we end up in a foot and a half of water. To try to keep the engine from hitting sand or seaweed on the bottom; Phillip and I went and stood on the front of the boat. Our pontoon boat has a rail, and then a platform or whatever you call it on the front that is about 2 ft. long in front of that rail... so we were standing there in front of that rail.
Before I go any farther with this story, let me tell you that I had been having issues with vertigo (where you get dizzy from inner ear) for about a week or 2 and was still not steady even when standing on dry land that was not moving.
Ok. so we are standing on the front to keep the engine in the back up, when all of a sudden water starts coming up on us quickly. Phillip starts to say "There is water..." but doesn't even have time to finish. Matt cuts the engine to keep us from going forward and getting more water; but it was already enough to send Phillip and me both backwards over the rail INTO the boat (Thankfully and not out of the boat) BUT I landed right in Malachi's lap. He is 4; and bless his little heart he is so scared of something happening to his daddy. When he saw water come on the boat, his daddy fall, and Aunt Shauna landed in his lap, and then I was kinda dizzy and couldn't get up quickly - not to mention we were SOAKED - he was pretty darn upset to say the least! In fact, after that, I ended up driving (do you "drive" a boat?) I am new at this - u can laugh at me if u want, just don't tell me you are laughing at me ;) I ended up driving and Matt stood on the front with Phillip when we needed it and I tried to tell Malachi he could be my "co-captain" but that didn't work; he had enough of that boat! He went and sat with his mommy and hasn't been back on it since. Don't know if he will go again or not??? What do u think Jenn??
Oh, and the other funny thing that night; Matt kept trying to get me to hold a flashlight, but it is an emergency flashlight for boats and it is made to turn on to flashing red and white when it hits the water; and because I was so wet, every time I tried to hold it, it would start flashing; then Matt would get it and it he would use it as a regular flashlight; forget and ask me to hold it again and I kept getting frustrated because every time I touched the thing it started flashing.
No comments:
Post a Comment