Saturday, December 27, 2008

Seasons

When Matt and I first got married, I worked as a teachers assistant in a first grade classroom near our home in central florida. One assignment that was given to the kids was to draw a picture of the 4 seasons. The teacher became very upset over how the entire class did the assignment "wrong". They all drew 4 pictures of green trees. What she didn't take into account was that all of these 6 year olds had always lived in an area where all 4 seasons pretty much look the same. There is no dramatic change from one to the next.

There are also seasons in our life. There are seasons of youth and old age, seasons of health and illness, seasons of work and rest, etc. Sometimes there are dramatic changes and it is very easy to see where one ends and the other begins, and sometimes the changes are more subtle - just like the changing of seasons here in Florida.

Matt was a youth minister for 10 years, and intended on being a youth minister for life. God led him slowly into a change from youth pastor to senior pastor. If it had been a quick change, like a change from winter in Chicago to summer in Miami, Matt would have freaked out. God gave him a gift of being able to relate well and work wonders with youth. Then God led him slowly into other areas of ministry. All for His glory and for His purpose in His timing.

With all of the changes in our lives lately, I have been praying that God would show me clearly the changes that He wants to make in my life. He is answering me, and He is slowly but clearly helping me to see the ending of one season, and the beginning of the next. He is using people that I trust spiritually to reassure me of what He is showing me. The nice thing is - all of God's seasons are beautiful. From fresh new buds on trees, and flowers in the Spring; to warm sunshine and the smell of the ocean in the Summer; the beautiful array of colors in Autumn, and a fresh, untouched blanket of snow in the Winter - all are just a glimpse of the beauty that God has in store for us. Although I am beginning to see more clearly the steps that God wants me to take, I am still not exactly sure where they will lead me. So for now, I am not going to go into detail, but please pray that my family and I will serve God and please Him regardless of what season of our lives we are currently in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SqG50ynfdw


Jen, thanks for talking with me last night! And I am really glad I got to talk to your mom too.
(I almost wrote "thanks for going out with me last night, but I was afraid with all the talk of change That wouldn't sound good- LOL)

No comments: