Friday, March 13, 2009

Life

One of my favorite jobs ever was when I worked in a newborn nursery at a small hospital. I would not only care for the babies in the nursery after they were born, but also attended the births to receive the babies after their birth to weigh them, do their footprints, and of course do an assessment and give any care needed. I loved that job, because I love babies. And it was fun seeing all these families rejoice over life.

I took Madi to a Holocaust Museum today. She is a little young to really process it all, but she did learn that lots of innocent people were killed. It was heartbreaking to see the pictures of men, women, and children who were killed. It was hard to imagine that it took so long for the torture and killings to end - why didn't someone put a stop to it sooner?! One of the last exhibits we saw was a wall with photos of people who risked their own lives to save the lives of others.

The value of all life is an issue that is close to my heart to begin with, but this past week I have been reminded that the fight for ALL to have the Right to Life is far from over. First, I grieved over the reversal of the ban on federal funding of embryonic stem cell research. Then, I have had a hard time getting my newest foster daughter all of the medical equipment that she needs, and I have heard the phrase "we just want to make her as comfortable as possible"; simply because "on paper" her diagnosis makes her look as if she is doomed for the worst, when in reality she is capable of doing much more. Then today, visiting the holocaust museum broke my heart for all of those victims, as well as stirring the desire in my heart to continue the fight for innocent life.

Abortion, embryonic stem cell research, discarding left over embryos; mentally and physically infants and children abandoned by their parents or taken away for safety and legal reasons, then put into nursing homes and long term care facilities; mentally and physically handicapped people of all ages not receiving all that they could because someone in charge decides it isn't worth it; children in foster care deserving loving, stable homes passed from one home to the next without anyone taking the time to care OR having to live at a state office somewhere for days or weeks because there aren't enough foster homes to take them in; children living on the streets; mothers harming their unborn babies by using drugs or alcohol; children living in homes where they are abused every day, tortured physically, emotionally, sexually; adults AND kids hurting and killing others; people mistreated for being different; the list goes on... and that is just here in our "safe" country we call home, with "life and liberty for all".

I don't mean to sound pessimistic. This is just reality. I have been through a wide range of emotions this week, sometimes with them overlapping. Helpless, frustrated, angry, hurt, depressed, sad, mad, and even thankful - thankful that God has blessed me with a country where I am free and my children are free; blessed me with children that I love with all of my heart; blessed me with my husband, whom I love more than words can say, that not only loves me and our children - but also loves all of our foster children and is willing to go through all of the difficulties that foster care brings.

I feel helpless when I can't save the lives of thousands, millions of preborn babies and embryos frozen in time. I thank God that He blessed me with the opportunity to save and adopt 2 frozen embryos, and to adopt 1 baby and 1 child from foster care. I thank God that at least several babies lives have been spared because of Matt and I speaking to young people about life in the womb, although I wish many more could be spared. I get angry when my abilities to help a child in my care are limited because of "the way things are done". I am sad and become depressed when I think of all the children that are being abused or killed each day. I rejoice when I hear the laughter from my backyard that is full of children, all of whom at some point in their life would have been judged by others as not worthy of life.

I got a call tonight from a state social worker asking me if I would consider taking in a toddler. My response to her was "I don't have any spots open". I couldn't just say "no", and if she had said, oh - don't worry about it, we'll let you be 1 over; I would be sitting here with a new baby tonight. But she said "thank you anyway, we will keep looking".

My heart aches for humanity. If only we could all see that we are all made in God's image. We are all beautiful and hand picked to be put here in this place in this time by God for a purpose. If only we could all value each other and love each other the way that God created us to live and love.

I know that this is "my" passion that God has given to me. God gives each of us talents, desires, and purpose that He wants us to use while we are here on this earth. I believe strongly in the right to life for all. Even if that is not your "desire", please realize that although God may have created you to accomplish other goals in your life, He still expects us all to value life and love others. Maybe you can't adopt or do foster care, but maybe you can babysit for a friend who has adopted or does foster care. Maybe you can financially help a couple who wants to adopt but can't. Maybe you can volunteer at a pregnancy center or abuse shelter. Maybe you can report the abuse of a child that everyone else has turned and looked the other way. My mom even went to court to testify about an abuse situation she witnessed. Most people wouldn't even call, much less go to court. Maybe you can be a friend to a person without many friends. Maybe you can buy a burger and soda for the homeless person you see on the street tomorrow. Maybe you can love those that you come into contact with tomorrow in a way that you normally wouldn't.

I fail every day, who doesn't. Sin entered this world a long time ago, and this world will never be perfect until Christ comes back; but until then, I want to be living for Him, loving His children, and longing for His return.

No comments: