Thursday, August 7, 2008

twins start kindergarten




This week is our first week of school. I am homeschooling all 4 kids this year - Lo Lo, Madi, Ty, and La. Tyler and Lauren technically start school this year. I did some work with them last year, but I didn't report it to the county since they weren't school age yet. I am excited about this school year. I was a little bit more creative in my teaching tools this year. I am not generally a creative person. That may be why I don't like to scrapbook, hmmmm?

Tyler loves to learn. He is always asking questions. Tonight he asked me "mommy, how do we die"? He didn't mean how am I "going" to die, he meant - what happens when a person dies. We had a foster baby that died last year - he was in the hospital when he died. That has brought up conversations and questions about death. Then Sunday we visited a new church - it was an awesome service! But they did show some video clips from Passion of the Christ and some drama that went with it. Ty asked me then "Are they trying to die him"? We talked about how Jesus died to take our sins away, and Ty quickly added - then 3 days later "he woke up"! I just love how simple he and Lauren make it. They often use the phrase "he woke up". As to his question tonight - I told him, I don't know how or when we will die, but the great thing is that no matter when it is, if we love Jesus - we will go to Heaven when we die, and He will give us a brand new body. I pray more than anything else that all of my children will love God with all of their heart and lives when they are older. For now, they have the faith of a child, and it is awesome. If only we could hold on to more of that child-like faith.

Back to homeschool - Lauren is really impressing me this year. Last year she really wasn't interested in school at all. This year we bought her some computer programs, board and card games, and of course Leapster games, and she is doing so good! She is our artistic one. She is really into singing right now, and is supposed to start piano lessons soon. (Note to Aunt Kay - I am SOOO excited about her starting piano lessons. Remember how I used to always try to play your piano??) I will have to figure out how to post video and record her singing... she actually sounds pretty good.

Tyler picks up on things quickly, but gets very frustrated when he can't do something perfect the first time. He also wants to tell Lauren all the answers. I know she is thinking that she doesn't need to put the energy into learning new things because that is what Tyler is there for - to do her work for her. I can hear my family saying "Not sweet little Lauren" :)

Madi has grown up SO much lately! I just can't believe how mature she is getting. I really enjoyed my time with her last year when we started homeschooling. I think it has really helped our relationship. Not that it was ever bad, but we are both very strong willed, and spending more time with her has really made me appreciate what a sweet and compassionate child she is. I really love that about her.

And Lo Lo is in the hospital right now. I am not going to write any identifying information on here because of confidentiality - also why I don't have pictures of her on here. For our family in Alabama I am going to give updates only with general details. She is doing fine, just her usual hospital stay.

The pictures of Tyler and Lauren are from their first day of school - taken earlier this week.

No comments: