Sunday, August 16, 2009

What's in a Name

When Matt first married me, he made fun of my sisters and me because we would use my grandfathers name to get out of trouble (like speeding tickets, etc.) Well, a little while back Matt was driving to Paw's house and stopped to take pictures of an old barn. As the owner of the barn came to see who he was, and what he was doing on his property; Matt immediately said "I'm Jim McClellan's grandson." He can NO longer laugh at us about that :)

My grandad's name is well known in that area. His name is respected because of his reputation and character. He started the rescue squad, and was captain for many years. As a paramedic, he has saved many lives. I can remember as a child seeing him leave to go find boy scout troops lost in the mountains; look for the bodies of children who had drowned in a nearby lake; work the races at Talladega. In fact, when I was staying with him in the hospital last week he was telling me about a wreck that happened where Rusty Wallace flipped over the finish line and how they had a hard time getting him out of the car; and he ended up with just a broken wrist and concussion. He also told me about how Dale Earnhardt Sr. came right back to check on him because they were good friends. Not being a fan of Nascar, I didn't know anything about that wreck, but I did look it up when I got home. Here is a video clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLdvjpFYcIs

Grandad worked as a paramedic at the Talladega races for many years. He was also there when Davey Allison crashed his hellicopter at the racetrack. I remember one time when Paw was telling the story about a young guy who had been in a bad motorcycle accident; and he asked my grandad if he was a Christian; Paw answered "yes" and the guy asked him to pray for him. There have been many newspaper articles written about him, or something he was involved in. There was even a book written by a doctor that was dedicated to him:

http://www.itraumaalabama.org/history.htm

The governor of Alabama came to my grandmother's viewing because of his friendship with my grandad.

His name is James, most everyone calls him "Jim"; but to me, he is "Grandaddy". When the great-grandkids came along, "grandaddy" got changed to "Paw", but in my heart, he is still MY grandaddy.

Many people care about him, and call him a friend; but my family and I LOVE him and call him "Pop" "Dad" "Grandaddy" "Paw".

Out of all the amazing and wonderful things my grandad has done; my favorite is how he and granny taught us all about the greatest name ever, "Jesus". My sisters, Matt, and I may have used my grandad's name to get out of trouble; but the day will come when we will stand before God, and just like Matt didn't belong on that property, our sins prevent us from belonging in Heaven; and God will ask us why we are there... I can say because of "Jesus". It is because Jesus paid the price for my sins that I will be able to enter Heaven. I look forward to that day when I get to meet my Savior face to face; see my granny again, , my little nanny, my father in law, and other friends and relatives. But it will only be because of the name of Jesus that I will belong there. So... there is a lot in a name.

My grandfather is honestly one of the most humble people you will ever meet. He has a multitude of awards, plaques, and other honors hung on the wall in a little back room in his house. He is not arrogant or prideful, but he has lived a life worthy of respect and other people have acknowledged that.

My grandaddy is having open heart surgery tomorrow, and I want to ask you all to please pray for him. Our church prayed for him this morning - in Sunday School, and in the worship service. Paw is a strong person, and God is almighty; I pray that I get to have many, many more times with my grandaddy, and I believe that I will :)

I wrote this post because I want you all to know how wonderful he is and to please pray for him tomorrow. But I also want Paw to know how much I love and respect him. And most of all, I want my grandad to know that it is because of him and granny, their example of faith and love, that led me on my journey to accepting Christ as my savior. Jim McClellan may be a well recognized and respected name, as is deserving; but he is such a humble man, I know he would rather not be in the spotlight. But he would want you to know about the name of Jesus. And if you already know Jesus personally, then I challenge you to share it with your children, grandchildren, friends, neighbors, etc. and live your life according to His word, so that at the end of this life your name will be written in the Lambs book of life; and it will be well respected for your service and love.

I love you Paw!! I REALLY wish that I could be there for your surgery tomorrow. But please know that I am praying for you. And I look forward to seeing you in a few weeks. I thank God for the time I got to spend with you in the hospital. I have missed you a lot the past 16 years, since I have lived so far away. You do good tomorrow, and I will see you soon! I love you!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shauna

4 comments:

tammy said...

That brought tears to my eyes. I love reading your posts. Praying for you and your family!

Shauna said...

Thanks Tammy!! Love you!

shauna

Cyndi L said...

I remember hearing him tell a few stories about the races too. I always thought that was really cool. I think the coolest story I ever heard was in the 90s there was a hugs snowstorm. My Mom and Dad were visiting and he helped with the rescue of many people in some really big snow machiene. He told of a couple lost campers as well that he helped to bring to safety. He was always there helping so many with his profession and in the church where I know he led many to get to know God. The Roman Road I believe he and my Dad called it.... :)

Love you guys..... glad to hear the good news and hope that he has a speedy recovery....

Shauna said...

I remember that snow storm... I was in college and came home for the storm. I made them put my horse in the basement - hee hee :)

Your dad was a living example of God's love. I don't know that I have ever met anyone with as much of a spirit of peace and love as your dad. We definately had great examples to look up to :)

I always looked forward to you guys coming down, because I knew your dad would take me and you somewhere to do something fun - the park, swimming, dairy queen :)

Good Times :)