Monday, October 19, 2009

written on the walls

My 2 favorite musical artists are Todd Agnew and Nichole Nordeman. Todd Agnew has a new CD out, and my wonderful hubby bought it for me yesterday. One of the songs is really speaking to me right now. Part of the chorus says:

"The sound of this world is deafening
And I'm havin a hard time listening
And I wish your will
Was still written on the wall"

Matt often uses the illustration while preaching of God playing "hide and seek" with us... God hides, and He wants us to look for Him, to search for Him, and to FIND Him! When we search for Him, we draw closer to Him; and when we FIND Him, He scoops us up and dances with us in His arms with joy.

Sometimes when I am looking for God, I have a hard time listening, because the sound of this world is deafening - there are so many "other" voices, noises, distractions that make it more difficult to "find" God or His will. "I wish your will was still written on the wall" I feel like that tonight. I enjoy the closeness that comes from the search for God; but sometimes, like tonight, I just wish I could see clearly the writing on the wall, without distractions - to know exactly what God wants me to do, what He wants me to back off from, when He wants me to speak, and when He wants me to be quiet; when He wants me to "do" and when He wants me to wait patiently.

Whether it is writing on the wall, a whisper in my ear, a comment from a friend, or a unique way that God chooses to speak to me; I am simply glad that He chooses to speak to me - even if not in my own way or my own timing.

2 comments:

Our Journey to Africa said...

thank you for that encouragement. I hope you find Him in new and exciting ways this week!

Shauna said...

Thanks! Have you gotten any foster kids yet??