I had an appt with someone related to foster care today. Matt was at basketball practice. This man began to tell me how he got into an argument with his brother-in-law over Thanksgiving. The gist of it is - the BIL is a Christian pastor, and the man I had an appt with today is Islamic. The brother in law made several statements to this man - all of which were true statements, BUT were said in a negative sort of way, a pushy, confrontational way.
I am really torn tonight - I wanted SOOOOO badly to say something; I wanted to witness to him; BUT he was telling me "I am not going to change my mind, and I am not going to change my BIL mind"; so.... I bit my tongue and didn't say anything. I did say to him that it wasn't right the WAY that his BIL treated him; and that it seemed to me that was what really upset him. I feel in my heart that I failed. I should have said more to him - ANYTHING would have been better than nothing. BUT he was still very much on the offense; and did NOT seem receptive at all. SO, I did not agree with anything he said that contradicted the Bible, instead I just stared at him blankly. I treated him with respect, and listened with a sincere heart. But I have to say - even though I know it would have caused him to go off on me; probably cause me problems with my foster care license, and cause me a major amount of stress - that would be better than letting a man walk out of my house knowing he does not know the One True God and His Son who saves us from our sins. :(
Matt always says - there is no need in arguing with someone who isn't willing to listen; that doesn't accomplish anything. That definitely fits this case. But I still don't feel right about not speaking up for the Truth, and reaching out to him.
1 comment:
I have a different perspective. I never want to be ashamed of the gospel of Christ however sometimes keeping the FIRST commandment - to really LOVE somebody - is to listen to them and hear them and be wise about when we hold our tongue. Love speaks loudest and besides all that you have no saving power anyhow. That is the Holy Spirit's job. Your job was to love the man and I think that is what you did. Just my two cents. :) XXOOO
Post a Comment