Thursday, January 29, 2009

Sleep Study

I had a sleep study a couple of weeks ago, and went for my follow up appointment yesterday to find out the results.

Let me back up a little. I have been having a hard time sleeping off and on for the past year or so, but it had become much worse the past few months. I have been very tired and don't feel like I am getting enough rest at night. I have also had night terrors for about 15 years. So they referred me to a neurologist specializing in sleep disorders. They did a video EEG during my sleep study.

When the doctor came in he smiled and said "you are a very interesting case". That figures, it seems like if there is something out of the ordinary, I will be the one to have it. I had PURPPA (or whatever those initials are) where you have this horrible rash and intense itching the last 5 - 6 weeks of my pregnancy with the twins - only like 2% of people get that. And I have had a few other things over the years that were very unlikely to happen.

So anyway... he said that I had 59 leg movements that woke me up, averaging about 11 per hour. And I never got into a good REM sleep, which is where we get our good rest from. I also had electrical spikes on my EEG that were seizure like. He said at this point he didn't want to diagnose me with a seizure disorder, but he put me on a seizure medication that should also help with the other sleep issues. And I go back in 1 month. Hopefully this will help.

After doing a little research, I have found that there are some seizures that only happen at night. Definately interesting. AND... that could also explain my night terrors - not sure how, but somehow they are related.

I guess at least I can say I am "interesting" - lol.

5 comments:

ME! said...

That is very interesting!! I will have to ask Lance if he has ever heard/seen anything like that. I hope the meds work for you. What did he put you on? One of my friends has night terrors, but they didn't see any spikes/ etc. during her sleep study. I think she just takes Klonopin or something.

Doni Brinkman said...

How weird!!! I had PUPPS (I thought those were the initials) with Tanner too! Took the Dr.s forever to figure out what it was - they sent in a couple of specialists. Then when leaving the hospital the volunteer worker took one look at me and said "Oh my gosh! You have PUPPS! My sister had that and she wanted to scrape off her skin with a fork!" LOL. You are the only other person I have ever known to have it. AND...I had a sleep test ordered last year but I never got it scheduled. I don't get good rest and I dream constantly so I don't think I get into good REM ever either.

heidi jo said...

oh my! i hope that you are onto something and will have a full answer and SOLUTION so you can get good rest!!!

Barry said...

Did you have any apnea or snoring episodes? I know sometimes that comes with the no Rem Sleep thing

Shauna said...

My doctor said that my Oxygen Saturation levels remained normal, as well as my heart rate. But I don't know if I snored or not - I do know that my husband tells me that I snore occasionally. And sometimes I wake up gasping for air, but now I am wondering if that is when I am having a seizure in my sleep and it wakes me up. ???