Friday, January 22, 2010

Chronic and Adrenal Fatigue Syndrome

I have been doing a lot of research on this today. Although not diagnosed by a dr.; I have every symptom, and it also makes sense with my thyroid levels being off and other lab results. I have been blaming my lack of energy on my busy schedule and depression. Althought that plays a huge role in it; and is even part of these fatigue syndromes; I didn't realize there was more to it.

Madison told me the other day, "Mommy, you look like you are about to cry". She was right, it was all I could do to keep from losing all control of my emotions. Some nights I am up till 1 or 2 in the morning, not able to go to sleep, even though I have NO energy whatsoever... then some nights I am ready to go to bed right after dinner. I wouldn't say that I ever have an abundance of energy. There are days that I feel "happier" than others - usually those are the days that I am doing something fun with the kids, or hanging out with Jenn, or Matt is home. I know depression is manifested in many different ways... my symptoms are: feeling overwhelmed, irritable, stressed out; generally unable to do all that I need to do and feeling overwhelmed by it.

Of course, reading about depression and fatigue syndromes tell you to find what stressors you have and eliminate them if possible. In my case... it is not possible. I know what my major stressor/stressors are - and I can not eliminate them at this point.

What I can do... I have read a lot today about diet and fatigue syndromes. I am going to try my best to eat according to the adrenal fatigue syndrome diet. This will be EXREMELY difficult for me!!! But, if it makes me feel better, I think it will encourage me to continue. Getting started will be the hard part.

Right now I am sitting outside watching the kids ride their bikes. I am feeling better already. However, I still have all my stuff to do inside - laundry to fold and put away, medical foster care notes to do, and laundry to wash, etc. But before I came outside with the kids, I hardly had the energy to sit up much less do chores. Now... I have more energy - just from getting out in the sun and watching/enjoying the kids playing. So, I think MAKING more time for fun time will help too.

I have an order for labwork that I haven't gotten done yet, so i am going to do that soon, and then talk to my dr. to see if there are any other things I can do to help.

Along with my other worries, ironically I worry about complaining too much too - lol. So I appologize if I come across as complaining/whining. It helps for me to look back, days or weeks from now and see how I felt, what I was doing, etc. Also, maybe someone who reads this will have experience with a fatigue syndrome and be able to help with some suggestions.

One thing that is KEY to me is that I never stop trying to fix, change, or help myself to get better. If I get to the point where I complain, but do nothing to help myself, then someone please knock me upside the head or something - lol. For my family's sake, for my sake, for me to live my life like God created me to; I want to explore, find, and use something to help my depression and fatigue. From medicine to eating right, or vitamins, or spending time for myself...enjoying what God gave me - counting my blessings.

I don't want to complain, I want to be honest about how I feel; and I want to find answers and change. I want to live my life to the fullest for Christ - from taking care of my family, serving in my church, and being a witness with my life.

Heard a song this morning for the first time, even though I don't think it is new... I think it was meant for me today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjsUie4gToM

No comments: