Last night Tyler broke out in hives on the back of his legs from his ankles all the way up to his rear end. They overlapped and looked like one big hive. He also had a patch on the back of each of his arms right above his elbows, and a patch on both of his thighs.
He is better this morning, but I am keeping an eye on him, knowing they can come and go for a while. But glad he is better this morning!!
He has eczema, so I know he is prone to allergies, etc.
So... trying to figure out what caused it. Here was our day: He ate cereal for breakfast (the boy LIVES for cereal, nothing new there.) He complained with a sore throat midmorning, then by lunchtime he was crying a little bit with his throat hurting - so I gave him some motrin with lunch. He had chicken tenders, mac-n-cheese, and a brownie (all nothing new, including the motrin); he had a runny nose all afternoon. He had some pretzels and some cheetos for snack (nothing new). As for drinks all day - water, lemon lime gatorade, and tea (all he has had before). Then we went to grandma's for dinner, we sat out on the screened in patio and that was when he started telling me that he had mosquito bites. I told him we were screened in and there were no mosquitos. He started crying saying it hurt and itched so bad...(I feel bad because I told him to chill - he is SOOO OCD and when he gets his mind set on something, it will NOT go away, so I really thought he just had his mind set that he was getting bit by mosquitos even though he wasn't). For dinner we had spaghetti, salad, and breadsticks... all of which he has had before. The ONLY thing I can think of is that he started complaining right after he sat down outside and the majority of the hives were on the back of his legs; but I don't know what could have been on the chair that would cause a reaction like that. Matt's mom has lots of plants, etc BUT we have ate out there many times... Tyler has played ball and wrestled in the grass, etc.
But I do know that allergies don't have to happen on first or second exposure, etc. SO it could have been anything - but I am leaning towards an exposure to something outside last night. The only reason I want to know is so we can avoid it in the future.
I gave him benadryl, zantac, and singulair; and bathed him in oatmeal. He slept well - lol. I slept next to him and checked on him all night long.
Today, he says his throat doesn't hurt, he isn't itching, and no hives. His nose is still running.
Will watch and see.
3 comments:
Hey Shauna, do you remember my little guy from our days of working together at the preschool? He has always had a hard time with allergies and would do the same thing.
Sometimes when their allergies are really bad it will make them react to anything as though they are allergic when they really aren't. This would be the case even if your son was allergy tested right now. His body is just so sensitized right now. Something as simple as a temperature change would be enough to cause a breakout. I imagine the heat of sitting on the chair caused the hives to show up on the back of his legs.
The doc showed us an example. He took a closed ballpoint pen and ran it on the inside, the length of our forearms. Hubby's did not welt up at all and was gone by the time we left the office. Mine did some and took about an hour to disappear. My son's welted up horribly and took several hours to go away.
As my son grew up, he still had problems from time to time with hives. It also seems more prone to happen if he is under a lot of stress. He is 19 now though and hasn't had them in several years.
Sorry for the long comment...thought it might help though. :)
We had a foster child with what what you are describing... I think it was called dermagraphic urticaria. That may be what Ty had?? Whatever it was, he hasn't had any hives since then, and it was only where or close to where he touched the chair or table... so this very well could be what it was. The foster daughter we had had MANY allergies. I know with dermagraphic urticaria, it is like you described with the pen, you can "write" on their skin with a finger nail, pen, etc... and it will welt up into hives only where it is touched. But our foster daughter had it all the time. So, with your son, he only had it sometimes?? I was thinking about having him allergy tested; according to what you are saying, maybe I should wait a little while before I do that...? Thank you very much for the info - definately useful in helping me to figure it out, or at least to mention to his pediatrician.
Yes I would probably wait a little while before having him tested. I don't know if you remember but one little boy John Mark broke out like that at school and when he was tested they had to eliminate pretty much EVERYTHING from his diet because he was positive. But it finally was determined he was allergic only to red dye.But yes, my son only had problems like that when his allergies were particularly bad and it got better as he got older. Glad to hear things are better now. :)
Post a Comment