Sunday, May 16, 2010

See the Beauty

Ever since my hysterectomy about 3 years ago; I have stuggled with depression. It has been mild at times, and pretty severe at times. I don't think there is one cause or one cure... it isn't something that "positive thinking" can bring you out of it. But I am learning that although there are some things that are out of my control; there are also some things that ARE in my control. I can choose to take my medicine, and choose a doctor that is willing to help me the most. And although this is NOT an answer or cure all for depression; I am learning that how I choose to view things affects me greatly. I can choose to see the beauty in a situation, or in what God is working in my life; or I can let myself focus on the bad, and end up feeling hopeless and yucky.

Not a great example of "life" situations, but I think this is a good illustration of my point. This picture was taken on a road out in the country about 20 minutes from our house. I LOVE when there are roads that are covered with oak trees! To me, it is BEAUTIFUL!!!



With all the beauty that I see in these big oak trees, there is also a very ugly side to them... the pollen that was very bad this year. We had to drain our pool and refill it - I literally worked on it almost every day for about 2 1/2 m0nths. we had the water clear until it got about 3/4 full again - it wasn't dirty water, or imballanced chemicals; it was POLLEN. We have had to change the filter out EVERY day and clean it to get all the pollen off. It is just now finally getting better.
Below is a picture of the filter after I cleaned off the top part; so you can see just how much pollen there was. This was after 24 hours.




I want to see the beauty in the oak trees; not the work it may cause me for a short time. I want to see the beauty in life; not the work it may cause me for a short time.

No comments: