Saturday, September 11, 2010

Duke update

OK, if you are not a "pet" person; or if you don't know me and know Duke, you might just skip this post.

I got a message from the vet today, she called on Thursday, but I just got the message today. Cell phones frustrate me in that way. She got the results of Duke's pathology report - he DOES have breast cancer. She told me the day she removed the tumor that she had never seen a male dog with breast cancer. I have just finished trying to find info on the internet; and I am not finding much. The only thing I have found over and over is that it is very rare - about a 2% chance; and it is usually very aggressive in male dogs. His first signs of a tumor were about a year ago; and the vet told me then that it was just irritation from him laying down so much... in fact, when I showed her the smaller knots on his other breasts she said again that those looked like irritation from laying down so much. Arghh!! Anyway, it wouldn't have really made a difference, I guess... Anyway, it is what it is. But he has had if for a year now; and if it is very aggressive, then I am guessing that it has already spread. I will be calling the vet back on Monday, and hopefully I will have some more answers then. Our biggest question remains - is he in pain; is there any reason that we don't need to let him just continue living like he is. We don't want him to be in pain; and we don't want to spend a lot of money because he is almost 13 years old and has had this for a year now already. I love him, and would gladly spend the money to have him treated no matter the cost if it would prolong his life. But he could die of natural causes tomorrow - he is already WAY past his expected lifespan. I wish that I could keep him forever, but I know I can't. All the years he has loved me unconditionally, and been the best dog ever - I want to do what is best for him. But I have no idea if this will affect his quality of life or not...??? He hasn't had a good day today with his hips and joints - but tomorrow, he may be getting around just fine; that is what he does. Just when I think he is in extreme pain, he will have a few days where he looks like there is nothing wrong with him.

Our "puppy" who is taller than Duke now, is finally calming down some. That is a good thing. I wanted to get another dog before Duke dies so that I wouldn't feel like I was "replacing" him - but I have tried twice in the past few years, and neither time has worked out well. The first dog we got was full blooded Rottie, and I gave her to a friend of mine after about 10 months because she was jumping on the kids and scaring them - she never intentionally hurt them; but I couldn't have the kids be so scared of her; not to mention she dug up the yard so bad that we could almost see China - lol. Then we got our current puppy. You can look back and see pictures of him right after we got him last February (I think). We still have him, but after about 3 months inside, he got put outside because he kept jumping on Duke and the kids. And now he chews up everything. We can clean the yard and think there is nothing for him to get, and walk out the next morning amazed at what he has found to chew up. I feel bad, because I know it is just that he is bored and looking for attention. Madi and I have tried, in the past, to go out and play with him, but he would bite our shirts and tear holes in them. Never bit us - just our clothes. Just recently we have both been out to play with him/work with him and he has pretty much quit jumping up on us and has not bitten our clothes. So, I need to work with him, reconnect with him.

Again, I know this will seem really stupid to most of you. But to those who love my Duke, you will understand.

No comments: