Tuesday, February 10, 2009

LOVE

But permit me a reminder, friends, and this is not a new commandment but simply a repetition of our original and basic charter: that we love each other. Love means following his commandments, and his unifying commandment is that you conduct your lives in love. This is the first thing you heard, and nothing has changed.

2 John 1:5-6 The message version


The verse above speaks 2 things to me. Espcially since these things have been on my mind anyway.

1. As Christians, our basic command is to LOVE!!! Sometimes we try to carry out the rest of the commands of the Bible, but leave out the LOVE part. We talk about the sins of our brothers and sisters instead of loving them and helping them to come to reconciliation with God. We judge them, saying "I" would never do that, all the while we have sin of our own in our lives. To the outside world we look judgemental and UNloving. That is SOOOO the opposite of what God wants us to be.

2. "LOVE means following His commandments" I see in so many people's lives that they say they are Christians, they talk about God, and how they love Him. Sometimes, they even defend Him and His word; or align themselves with some of the ways of God, but then when it comes to "following God's commands" the part where they don't want to give up the parts of their lives that they know does NOT fit into God's plan for their lives, yet is important to them - they keep that part from God. To simplify what I am saying: They talk about God in their lives and give Him the parts of their lives that are easy to give up, but then openly live their lives the way they want, even if it contradicts God's commandments on how we should live our lives.

We all make mistakes. No one is perfect. God is willing and waiting to forgive us of our sins.

Everywhere I look lately, I see 2 contrasting problems: Holier than thou Christians, and Young Christians trying hard to hold onto part of their lives instead of giving it all to God.

I also want to do a self examination and see where I am. I think... probably a little of both, and I hope at times neither. I have been guilty of judging a person thinking "I would never do that", and I have been reminded that I am human and capable of falling flat on my face spirtually, so be careful not to judge.

I have also been tempted and have tried to hold onto parts of my life that I didn't want to give to God. It doesn't work very well at all! Our entire lives are much better off in God's hands than our own.

My reason for saying all of this, is I am trying to figure out as a pastor's wife, as a Christian, as a mother, as a friend, etc... How do I minister to, "lead" (not force), the people I care about and all the people that God cares about - to the point where lives are given completely to God. Not holding anything back, not thinking we can love and follow God and yet continue to live unGodly lifestyles day in and day out - using the excuse that Christians are judgemental. Christians should lovingly and humbly lead weaker Christians back into the will of God. But sometimes that takes honest converstations with stern words of caution about open sin in their lives. Sin is harmful, and there is a definate difference in being judgemental (for the sake of criticizing) and loving discipline from God or even a child of God trying to caution against sin and trying to bring a person out of a sinful habbit and into the arms of God.

Let me not be:
Hypocritical, holier than thou, or judgemental for the purpose of criticizing.

Let me not be:
Selfish and Unloving towards God by not being obediant to Him in all ways of my life.

No comments: