Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Thank God for Blonde Nurses :)

Not for my sake - lol, but my little Ty man has always had a thing for blondes. When he was about 10 months old there was a young lady in our church that had pretty long blonde hair. When she would talk to him, he would literally just stare and drool. It was the funniest thing! A few years later, when this lady would talk to him, he would either hide his face or grin and run.

Well, last night I HAAAAAAAAAAAAD to go to the bathroom. BUT because he is in intensive care they don't have a bathroom connected to his room. So my choices were to use the toilet that is IN his room, out in the open with no curtain, no lock on a door, etc. I was seriously wondering if I could beat the clock... could I go really fast before anyone came in his room - lol. But I know my luck. Just as sure as I would have tried that, someone would have come in like a chaplain or sometimes they have local pro football players visit the kids. Yeah, I knew better than to try that. So... my only option was to leave Ty to go use the bathroom outside of PICU and down the hall. Let me back up a second. Last year when he had this same procedure done, I left for JUST a min. to go to the bathroom, and he got so upset that he messed up one of the surgical sites, and they had to call the doctor to come check on him. So you see my delima. I REALLY did NOT want to repeat that situation again! Thank GOD his nurse last night was a pretty young blonde. She stayed in the room with him while I went potty, and he was totally o.k. with that :) This morning she brought him chocolate ice cream (yummy breakfast) and he grinned at her... She said I see that smile for the ice cream. I didn't tell her that the smile was really for her. It is funny, and it may sound trivial, but I am seriously glad that there was a nurse he was willing to stay with, because otherwise I would either be really uncomfortable this morning, or would have had to take my chances out in the open - lol.

This morning he is doing good. He is VERY ready to go home!!! An ARNP has already come to check on him, and she said he looked great. The only concern is that he has had a few times where his heart rate will be 120 - 130 while he is just sitting in bed watching t.v. That is too high for a resting heartrate. BUT anxiety could cause it, and he is naturally an anxious kid; and he has been crying off and on wanting to go home and wanting to see Daddy. Also, pain could cause it to go higher, and he doesn't usually complain about pain, so it could be he is hurting some and just not telling us.

They are going to have the dr. look at his EKG's from last night when he comes by. Hoping and praying that we get to go home today,because he will have a meltdown if he doesn't get to go home today!! The Nurse Practitioner felt pretty confident that he would be good to go home today.

2 comments:

heidi jo said...

thankful with you. :)

Paula said...

Matt and Shauna,
Just praising the Lord with you for answered prayer regarding Tyler. Please keep the updates coming.
Love and blessings,
Paula